Tuesday, July 13, 2004

For the past few days, I have been reading about the Lord of the Rings. I am more than 6 months behind the LOTR fever....The last trilogy was shown in Nov 2003 and yet I only managed to catch it last week. But nothing is lost, I was caught on finding out more about the characters, Middle-Earth and the rings. I found some gaps in the movie...some info seemed missing. So I actually did a research on the web on LOTR to narrow the gaps.

Last night, like any normal nights, I sat in bed, recounting to DH what I have discovered about the characters, the gaps in the movies and how each event relates to another. Then he said this. "Wouldn't it be great if you could recount every story and character in the Quran like this?"

I stopped. I was slightly taken aback. I looked at him. He smiled. With a twinkle in his eyes, he said "I wish I could too."

That little conversation drove the message home. It was like a knock on the head. I realised that I have done too many research on man-made words. Being a voracious reader, I pratically devour all information from all sort of gurus...motivational gurus, time management gurus, investment gurus, relationship gurus, interpersonal skills gurus and what-have-you gurus...Yet, have I devour the words of Allah swt with such passion and interest?

I have put in practice many man-made advices. I have taken THEIR words for it. Have I put into practice the words of my CREATOR, have I taken HIS words for IT? I would have to honestly confess...I missed the mark.

We are always encouraged to pursue worldly knowledge BUT not at the expense of our deen. There must be a balance. In the meantime, my research on J.R.R Tolkien's LOTR will come to a temporary halt. It is time for me to do a little study on the Al-Quran, the words of Allah, with hope that I'll grow into a better Muslim. Insya'allah.

No comments: