Monday, April 04, 2005

Ever since MM Lee called for more Singaporeans to take up and learn Malay, especially in the wake of recent disasters like in Aceh and Pulau Nias, I wondered how many Malays actually took up the calling. Having gone through the Singaporean education system, I am ashamed to admit that I am only a Malay skin-deep. I believe that many Malay Singaporeans are as guilty as I am.

The saying "Bahasa Menunjukkan Bangsa" seems far-fetched at this moment. As I read blogs after blogs, it is justified to conclude that our Malay Language is almost lost. Finding a blog in good written Malay is a rare gem. Hearing a Malay speaking Malay well, especially in a normal conversation is just as rare. Just like the Chinese and Indian Singaporeans, we, the Malay Singaporeans, too are losing our touch on our language.

As I write this, my thoughts are all coded in English....a language that originates from a country far away, a place where I have yet to set foot on. Yet, I think, I write and I speak the language as well as a native speaker. It caused me great concern to think that the fate of our language actually lies in our hands, the hands of the Malay people. If we, the Malays, do not proactively do something about it, the existence of our language is at stake.

I used to think, like many educated Malay Singaporean, that the English language is a critical language to master, because it can catapult you far ahead in the world. This still holds true. But when I started to have my own family and as I watch my children grow, I realised that it is my responsibility to pass down the heritage of the Malay race and its language so that they will be accustomed to their roots and are NOT just Malays by name.

I have received many comments from friends and relatives who questioned why I speak Malay to my children when English is THE important language. I have just one answer, man can change the way of he thinks, man can change the language he speaks, he can also change the religion he preach but he can NEVER change the colour of his skin. I am not trying to teach my children to discriminate against other races, but ultimately to appreciate who we are. I do not wish for them to forget where their true roots lies.

With a deeper understanding of Islam, most of the Malay customs are long gone, due to associations with Hiduism and Paganism. Therefore, the Malay language remains our strongest link to our race. If the language is gone, what would we call ourselves, Anglo-Malay?

Even by speaking to my children in Malay, I do not seem to be doing a good job. My children's command of the English is far better than their Mother tongue. There is much work to be done, to revitalise the Malay language, to make the Malays embraced it once more. What we could not do for ourselves, maybe we can do for our children....breathe, live and love our Malay language.

No comments: