Thursday, March 31, 2005

I shed a tear when I saw a picture of a father cradling and moaning for the lost of his child in the latest earthquake at Pulau Nias. A few years back, earthquakes were rare events in this region. But now, it's nothing new. My children, at such a young age, are already aware of the deadly consequences of tsunamis, terrorist acts, earthquakes. When at their age, I was blissfully ignorant.

I read in today's ST that the planet earth, our world, is dying. Who is causing it? Ironically, the humans who live on it. Doesn't the future of the world sounds bleak? With natural disaster getting more frequent, man-made destructions, humans killing humans....the world does not seem to be a pleasant place to live in. Does this mean that the statement "It's a wonderful world" becomes a fallacy for the future generation?

Can we make a difference? Can we salvage our world? I believe we can. It may sound too idealistic. After all, some practical people may just say,"How can one person make a difference?" I believe as a mother, a parent, I can mould the future generation to look at this in totality. The current thinking of I, me for myself ownly is not doing anybody any good. The only person who appears to get it all is that individual but only in the short-run. In the long run, his action causes him and many others to lose.

I have met many individuals who are kind, well-liked and respected. However, sad to say, the way they think, leaves much to be desired. To these individuals, if you have paid for the accommodation then you should just leave the air-conditioner on, although you are NOT in the room and you can also use as much water as you want, even to a point of wastage is fine. Why? Because you have paid for it. OR there are some individuals who believe that if something ain't theirs then why look after it properly? I find this, at some point disgusted, because these people displayed such righteous demeanor.

It is this thickheaded, self-centred attitude that I vow to eradicate in myself, my children and my family. So what if you have paid for it? Use what you need. Even our religion, Islam, taught us not to waste. If I recall correctly, wastage is haram. I did share my opinions with them saying that if we save water and electricity, ultimately we are doing our part to save our environment and ourselves in the future. Of course, I received a disgruntled snort (which I am used to, nowadays).

Isn't it strangely ironic that some people are so myopic in their views and yet they want their children to be great thinkers? Well, it gets nowhere talking about egocentric individuals. I know it is a rough journey ahead. If only we, humans, see ourselves being intertwined with one another. If only we see that what we do, will actually and eventually affect others and our own future. I am fully aware that I can't change the way some people think.

BUT all is not lost. I know that have the power to change myself and to influence my children's views and thoughts. I have the power to make the difference, albeit small but it is still a difference.

No comments: