Thursday, May 05, 2005

Since this is my blog, I am the writer, proof-reader and editor, all into one. So for the purpose of distinguishing fiction from my own opinions, I decide to call this commentary section - My Say . I am smiling when I write this because it sounds so technical. Anyway, since I am NOT going to write something that is so structured and well-thought, I shall not give any title to this commentary.

MY SAY

I have had many adjectives to describe the kind of person I am; shy, quiet, aggressive, creative, strong, brave, straight-forward, funny, lazy, brainless, curt, deep-thinker, crazy, non-conformist, intelligent, simple, perfectionist, impatient and many many more. If I were to analyse every description and consolidate them, the most logical conclusion would be that I am suffering from some split personalities syndrome. And what a croak that would be!

I am, like everyone of planet earth, just a typical human being and a normal one, I dare say. Like any human beings, I show a different side of myself to different groups of people. All of us show different facet of ourselves, depending on the type of relationship we perceive we have with that person. All those descriptions of myself were given by different groups of people who knew me in various capacity, as an employee, as a friend, as a wife, as a daughter, as a student, as a mentor...the list goes on and on. To each relationship, we allow ourselves a certain level of vulnerability threshold...to what extent do we want to reveal ourselves.

This came to mind, especially with regards to the recent brouhaha over a blogger's so called racists remark that bowled the nation over. It reached to an extent that some even requested that his scholarship be revoked. However, if we were to take a step back and look at things in a human perspective, it is quite clear that he is merely stating his opinions to a circle of friends, whom he perceived, have the same "taste". And don't we all do that? Unfortunate for him, someone decided to publicised his opinion to the whole country.

I always believe in the saying "Barking dogs don't bite". Or more accurately, at least they warn us of the dangers that lurk. At least, we know his thoughts and maybe could pre-empt the sort of behaviour he would condone. There are many others, out there, who are more potent that this poor chap. These others don't speak what they feel. These others who subtly weaved their actions that we, blindly, fall into their trap. The Malay proverb says it too well "Air yang tenang, Jangan disangka tiada buaya." A direct English translation would be "It does not mean that there is no crocodile even though the water looks calm."

In my short 33 years on earth, I have seen many that belong to others. These people talk the sweetest talks, agree with everything (well almost), avoid any confrontations with you and yet the more closer you know them, the further you want to be - away from them. These people appear nice but behind our backs, they have a hidden agenda.

So if you ask me now, at this point in time, who I'd rather be with? I'd say people who speak their mind and walk their talk. Maybe, that poor blogger would make a better friend that someone who is just being politically correct.

No comments: