Thursday, February 16, 2006

Another Fatal Attraction??

I am sure almost every one of us has heard stories about someone who is at the brink of killing himself/herself. We may have read in the newspapers or watched a show on the matter. In all these instances, we are just mere audience who watched from a distance. We are not too concerned about it because if it is on the screen than most probably it is just fiction, a figment of someone’s imagination.

But what if we actually know someone who has such emotional vulnerability and is quick to take his or her own life? How would we have reacted if the reason for the person’s reaction is because he/she felt that no one cares? And what if news has travelled in the grapevine that our act of concern and care has been wrongly taken as a way of showing affection towards that person?

Wouldn’t this make great storyline for a movie? But the harsh reality is such things happen in real life. No, I am not anyone of the character in the whole episode but I am just a passer-by who by Divine’s intervention got wind of what is happening. And I really empathize.

It is a mind boggling dilemma for the kind soul whose intent was just to be someone who that other person can talk to – just to be there for a friend in need. In a big organisation such as this, a person can really be lost without a kind helping hand. And being the kind soul he is, my dear friend will always find a way to help someone in need. It is just the way he is - the natural leader, the wonderful listener – admired by his peers, staff and even bosses. Basically, a great guy – married with a lovely wife and two children.

I mean what would you do if you were him and you discovered that this girl, with suicidal tendency has the hearts for you. We all know him before she came. I would call him a very straight, honest, loyal man. She, on the other hand, is nice but has a rather low self-esteem or lack of confidence – I perceive. She persevered because of her daughter. It is not easy being a young single mother and the sole breadwinner of her 3 generation family.

When she joined this organisation, she was still married and then we heard she tried to kill herself by slitting her wrists. We did not know the exact reason – we never heard of her husband. And this dear, dear friend of mine, being the perfect gentleman became a shoulder for her to cry on. She was depressed for quite sometime and he got her back on her feet.

Now, this perfect gentleman is getting the jitters because he realised that she saw him more than just a friend. (I think he is too blur for his good.) He wants to tell her that he has no feelings for her but he’s afraid or rather not sure of the right approach. He is concerned that she will go back to being suicidal. So you see, how straddled this poor man is.

I don’t know how to help him. I really don’t. I mean it could turn into a fatal attraction episode. I know he’s scared. I am pretty sure of that – I mean wouldn’t you if you were in his shoes?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is precisely why man and woman can't be close frens. Usually the lady will fall for the guy.. (coz he listens to me kinda of thing). Big trouble coming his way ;(

Aryna said...

Oh dear! I wouldn't know what to do either. Can he slowly walk away from her....?

ctlina said...

oh!!! he's in a very difficult situation...ishhh susah macam tarik rambut didlm tepung...rambut tak putus tepong tak berselerak....myself too would be in dilemma *haiz*

have a great wednesday dear ....