Monday, June 27, 2005

It is back to the normal routine again, traffic jam, morning coffee with Straits Times and what else but work.....This morning, my gear is in slow mood, still trying to gain momentum and speed after more than a week out of Singapore, out of touch with what is happening. The news that I heard for the past week was all Malaysian news.

I just came back Sunday morning 4.30am - we decided to leave KL at midnight and my hero decided that he would drive back to Singapore non-stop, which he did. So most of yesterday afternoon was spent lazing around in bed. We did leave home later in the evening to celebrate birthdays - birthday girls wanted to celebrate their birthdays eating ice-creams at Swensen and toys shopping spree at Kiddys Palace. So last night marked the end of the holidays for us. Tired but happy.

Port Dickson was great as usual. Staying at Avillion meant no venturing out of the resort since there was so many things for the children to do. Playing at the pool, covering themselves up with sand, going to the pet farm, lazing around at the balcony watching the sun set or simply doing nothing and just listening to the sound of the sea - It was pure bliss and total relaxation. 8)

We did go to the PD Ostrich Farm along Jalan Pantai but I feel Jelita Ostrich Farm is so much better. PD Ostich Farm is rather small, the choice of souvenirs are quite limited and they only sell Ostrich satay. Unfortunately, the hordes of flys spoilt our enjoyment of satay there. Nonetheless, ostrich satay is juicy and tender - no difference from beef.

To me, visiting PD without going to the Saturday's Pasar Malam is like not going to PD. So we always try to check in on Saturday afternoon. I simply love the Pasar Malam. Good, cheap food! Just glorious food!

After 2 days of enjoying the sun and the sea, we made our way to the highlands - Genting Highlands. Since this was such a last minute thing, we couldn't get at rooms at the top so we settled for Awana. Our first time at Awana, we stayed at Genting Hotel and Resort Hotel previously. The verdict - so so, oklah, cheap for a 2 bedroom suite but don't expect bathtubs or room service. I still prefer Genting Hotel.

We took the Genting Skyway - and if you are afraid of heights, I'd say give it a miss. I remembered reciting all the doas I know. Going up was not as bad as going down. You see the valley way down beneath you. It is said to be the fatest cable car in South East Asia. It spans 3.5km long but the journey seemed like an eternity to me. I felt like kissing the ground when we reached the end of the line!

On the whole, the children enjoyed Genting the most. 2 of our days there we spent in the Indoor and Outdoor theme parks. But I do have one major grouse. The staff manning the rides need to smile more. For most of the rides we took, none smiled, most put on what I would call "muka tempe". Those who smiled should be given commendation for doing it. Anyway, Genting is filled with Singaporeans - we saw Singapore cars everywhere. We met some friends there too. If it is not for the children, I think we still prefer Cameron Highlands or Frasier's Hill for our highlands holidays.

On the 5th day of our holidays, we made our way down to the city that doesn't sleep, where else but Kuala Lumpur. This time, I enjoyed the KL stay. We did not stay in a hotel because my parents got a place near Kampung Datuk Keramat. We got a stunning view of KL, being on the 17th floor - KLCC, Menara KL, Times Square, Tabung Haji etc etc. It is a pity that my father only enjoyed staying there for only a few months. But then again, he got to experience seeing his kampung - Kampung Baru from the top.

Berjaya Times Square is a must to go. Not to shop but to go to the themepark. We had loads of fun. Since it was not a Malaysian holidays, there was no queue and no crowd. The children tried all the rides. DH and I took the Supersonic Roller Coaster. They say ignorance is bliss - how true. Having taken the roller coasters at the Indoor and Outdoor theme parks at Genting, I thought how bad can another roller coaster ride be...Boy, was I wrong! We went plunging down from 10th story and upside down at a speed of 80km/hr - I found out after the ride at the nearest info board when my knees were all wobbly after the ride! And my hero can tell me later - we should have taken the second ride on it! We were told later by fellow natives KLians that Berjaya Times Square's roller coaster is more scary that Genting's. Some don't even dare to take! So that was an achievement for me - I am so proud of myself. 8)

Some people may find KLCC interesting, great place to shop, blah, blah, blah.. I dunno, I just don't dig KLCC. Maybe if Aquaria opens sometime in the future, I'll go there again. Aquaria is like our UnderWater World in Sentosa. The difference is that Aquaria is smack in the city centre and the sea water is man-made. I found this out when I watched a documentary about it at TV3.

My shopping heaven is none other than at Masjid India and Mydin where you can get cheap tudung and clothes. I bought children's tudung - with lace and all for only RM$11, about s$5. Children clothes top and bottom RM$12.90, about S$6. Where can get here, right? I just went crazy shopping! Bayar niatlah katakan...tahan kat Genting tak shopping, PD tak shopping, KL went all out! Macam nak borong satu kedai! Even before we finished shopping, we made plans to come back maybe before Ramadhan to shop again...hehehee.

The last day of our holidays (9 days in all), we went to Subang Jaya for the best beryani gam in town. Our first day in KL, we had seafood dinner at Gombak, at the outskirt of KL and on our last day, at Subang Jaya also at the outskirt. Cheap, good food again! I think I've gain weight during the hols....eat, eat, eat! Nasib baik, seluar masih muat....

Ah......wish it was longer. But life goes on...we need to work. Maybe when we become millionaires, when our money work for us instead for us working for money, we can live our lives like we are having holidays everyday. 8) We just came back yesterday and my children are already asking when will we go on holiday again. Hmmm.....where shall we go next hols? Kalau ada rezeki, GoldCoast???

No comments: