Tuesday, June 14, 2005

There are days when I forget that I am actually so fortunate. I forget the good things that Allah has given me. I complain. I kick a fuss and pull a long face. But Allah swt The Merciful gently reminds me subtly either by letting me overhear a conversation between two strangers or letting my eyes and mind set on an article or two that would jolt me to reality. All these reminders are so timely and prompt that I remember what I have, is so so wonderful. And I am so grateful.

I was in the lift one morning together with 2 ladies. It was a normal Monday morning when people were just too lazy to say "Good Morning" or even gave a smile at one another, except for the security guards on duty. There were around 6 or 7 of us in the lift and since my office was the last stop, I had a chance to hear some of the morning conversations.

Lady A : How fast time flies! The weekend is over and I didn't even get any rest!
Lady B : What did you do? I only did housework. Weekend comes and I have tons of housework to do.
Lady A : Me too! On top of that, I have two people bossing me around while I do the housework. Lady B : *let out a big sigh* What to do? Don't even have time to rest over the weekends. Weekday do office work. Weekends do housework.

And then the two of them stepped out of the lift, leaving me alone in thoughts. I woke up tired that morning after a late night out with the family and was too lazy to go to work. I was dragging myself, complaining about how tired I was and wished I had it better. But when I think of that little conversation, I found no valid reason for me to complain. I didn't even lift a finger at home during the weekends. Yes, I work on weekdays but from 8.00am to 5.30pm only. Other than that it is my own time. Instead of waking up complaining, I should have at least said "Alhamdullilah" and thank Allah swt (not my lucky stars) that I have a chance to live and redeem any sins that I have done. The doors of forgiveness of me are still open.

If I were to stop and trace back what I was already given, I know there are many many things that I received that are beyond my expectation and imagination. I wanted 2 children, Allah swt gave me 4. I wanted to just live in a decent HDB flat, no pools, no security, just a normal HDB flat...Allah swt gave me more. I just wanted a decent car that could bring us from point A to point B....Allah swt gave me more. I just wanted a husband to look after me...Allah swt gave me more. I can only say "Alhamdullilah, I am so grateful for the wonderful life that Allah has given me."

No comments: