Monday, February 26, 2007

Freaky Frog Fright

That was what we just had. And No we didn't have frog for lunch. Anyway, we are Muslims so frogs will never be on our menu. But my significant other rears fishes that eat frogs so we usually have a container of live frogs at home. And...No, I never touch them not even the container that holds them. You see, I am afraid of frogs. I find them yucky and disgusting.

My only thought about them is that they may just hop into my dress if ever I come close. So my most feared nightmare happened this very afternoon when one freaky frog decided to escape and make its presence right in front of the TV while I was breastfeeding and watching Jamie Oliver made mashed potatoes! Hubby was at work and it was just me, my 3 little ones and that green thing!

We let out our loudest shriek, ran all the way to the furthest bedroom and shut the door. I think the whole estate heard us. I sat on the bed - half breathless and called the man of the house. The man was in a meeting and he could only offered a whispered advice - Close all doors, get an ice cream container and just cover that thing. Sound easy, right? Yeah, easy peasy.

So all I could do was gingerly got out of my room, wearing my bedroom slippers - in case I stepped on it, I had protection, closed all the doors and tried to talk myself into being a brave girl and just cover that darn thing with an ice cream container. Then I saw the frog at the corner of the coffee table. I almost peed in my pants in fright. He made it sound so easy - cover it with an ice cream container. My comfort zone with frogs is not 10 cm. It is 1 m for heaven's sake. So I ran back to my refuge.

And if he was not in a meeting, I would have called him - screaming my head off and crying my eyes out - begging him to come back and catch that darn thing. But I had to contain all that emotions and send a short message, pls come home, syg. can't do anythg! The reply was not so comforting though - sori, in mtg. cal bak (refer to my dearest father in law - he is my hero).

So I called my father-in-law and he came with his troop, armed with a red umbrella about 15 to 20 mins later. My daughters and I walked like elephants to open the door. My great idea of trying to frighten the frog and made it go into hiding. hehe.

So my father-in-law and his other brave companion (the family maid) went looking for the frog - under the sofa, under the coffee table, under the TV console - where it was found dead trapped in dirt and hair. This is a good reason why you shouldn't keep your house so clean if your husband keeps frogs at home. Anyway, I couldn't believe it is dead but I don't dare to look at it. It was alive and hopping just 15 mins ago. So we made another house search to make sure that there were no other frogs. We found none.

So we did a headcount - on the frogs in the container. Hubby bought 8. 2 were fed to the fish last night, 5 left in the container and 1 was dead - the escapee. Ok, all counted for. I thanked my heroes profusely. I don't think my daughters and I would have the courage to ever leave my room till it was caught. I didn't care whether it was caught dead or alive.

So that was our frightening afternoon which thankfully had a happy ending for us but not the frog.

My daughters and I are still puzzled over its unexpected death. We talked about how it may have died and my wise 6 year old told me innocently that it died of fright when it heard us stamping our feet loudly, walking like an elephant. Maybe.

So if you are afraid of frogs and one happened to get strayed into your house, try walking like at elephant. Who knows, the frog may just die of fright. hehe.

12 comments:

pinkieuctepie said...

dah kojol, buatlah cok-kodok!!!! kekekekeeeee....euuuuw!!!!!!!!

Saudari Lee said...

hahahh!

that was one funny entry!

i tak takut katak but i cuma takut when it starts to jump around. mana lah tahu, lompat punya lompat, they lompat on us?

eeeeeeeeeee!!

cannot imagine.

pakai ice cream container? i think pakai tudung periuk better. kan lagi besar. lol!

but very kesian lah the way the katak die. i think he/she musthave been just as frightened as you!

take care!

spidey said...

nasib baik time dtg tuari, takde jumpa katak. jgn2 pagi2 hari bunyi katak bawah blok, ur katak tak? they must be taking morning walk ard the estate. LOL!

madame blossom said...

Wow.. what a kodok, that katak is.

or.. maybe it committed suicide. You know it's better to die in the comfort of your sofa (nvm the dirt), than get eaten. Point to ponder.

Blur Queen aka BQ said...

Hi people.

Good morning!

I just found out why it died. Hubby told me that the katak breathe through its skin so when it got covered with dirt, it just suffocated. I also don't know this because has no interest in katak.

Good thing, hubby decided no more katak in the house after he saw how frightened we become. My daughters have phobia going to the living room because the katak emerged there (and died there). hehe.

But this is actually good for me, they don't make a mess of the living and dining room. The 4 of them now prefer to just sit in the bedroom or study. They don't even have the mood to watch TV. haha Maybe I should thank the katak for escaping.

Spidey - By the time the katak hop to your area, dia dah kena langgar kereta dah....

Sue said...

Alamak! I miss all the excitement. Got PC prob. Anyway, lucky for me my hubby dah 'retire from the fish fever'. Bila ur hubby nak 'retire' hehehe

Anonymous said...

Ah..kan, itu hari baru cerita, dah katak ni nak sambut baby nak buat party, agaknye..:-)

Anonymous said...

Katak or cicak.. they are all the same to me. Eeeky yucky ones. If its me, I would have done the same... never leave the room till its done and over with.

MamaElla said...

Hahaha....this is very funny and I can still remember the big eel fish at the aquarium.....

Yara said...

Your frog tale brought back memories of my childhood when my 2 brothers and I plus a few neighbourhood friends went on a mission to spear frogs using 'lidi' when we were staying in Toa Payoh. On hindsight, it was cruel of us and may Allah forgive us for the murderous streak. We stopped after a couple of times when one of my friends had nightmares every night including one where a giant mother frog came searching for her little ones. He was totally freaked out!

Em said...

Salaams

I think it did die of fright...blink blink

Mr Incognito said...

found your frog post while doing research on non-halal food for my latest post. was disppointed to see it had nothing to do with lunch :)